The Santa Cruz de Tenerife carnival has begun! Considered one of the best Carnivals in the world, it was declared a Festival of International Tourist Interest in 1980 and it is, undoubtedly, one of the most anticipated events on the island.
For a few weeks, the capital of Tenerife, Santa Cruz, is flooded with colour, music and fantasy.
Fantasy is also the theme that carnival goers have chosen as the central element of this year´s international festival.
NOTE THE KEY DATES OF THE CARNIVAL IN YOUR DIARY
The FIRST celebrations of Carnival this year 2018 begin with the contests of the Murgas and the musical groups; these begin on Thursday January 18th; but the key dates of the Carnival, those where everyone goes out into the streets to have fun and live it are:
- February 7th | This is the day of the celebration of the Gala for the election of the Carnival Queen. A spectacular show where the candidates parade on stage with their majestic costumes, at the International Fairs and Congress Centre.
- February 9th | Start enjoying the party on the streets with the Opening Cavalcade that will tour the main roads of the city with all the protagonists of the Carnival.
- February 12th | Monday is the big day. Carnival night becomes a multitudinous event where people go out into the streets with their best costumes to enjoy music that floods virtually every corner of downtown Santa Cruz de Tenerife.
- February 13th | This day, starting at 16:00, is the amazing carnival parade through the streets.
- February 14th | Coinciding with Valentine’s Day this year, the Burial of the Sardine is a delirious ceremony announcing the end of Carnival with the burning of a symbolic figure, representing the past and the vices and delusions that the holidays have brought. In Tenerife, however, the celebrations continue through the following weekend.
- Two extras | For some years, the so-called «Day Carnival» has been celebrated, where families can enjoy some carnival fun during the day: in 2018 this will take place on Sunday 11th and Saturday 17th February.
Do you want to join in the fun? Well, make your reservation and prepare your suitcases. Choose your destination at GF Hoteles and enjoy one of the most important winter celebrations in the world.