The reduction of single-use plastic has become one of the main objectives of the Sustainability Strategy at GF Hoteles. To achieve these objectives, the chain is launching joint actions in all of its hotels, such as the gradual replacement of the consumption of plastic bottles by guests and employees with aluminium bottles.
At GF Hoteles, we are aware of our responsibility to look after the wellbeing of present and future generations. The chain has obtained the ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and EMAS certifications. GF Gran Costa Adeje, GF Fañabé, GF Noelia and GF Isabel have a Class “B” Energy Rating. However, GF Victoria is the first hotel in the Canary Islands to obtain the Class “A” Energy Rating, the building certificate awarded for having the maximum range of energy efficiency.
In addition, we are the first hotel chain in the Canary Islands to adhere to the Global Compact, an international initiative promoted by the United Nations with which we strengthen our involvement in actions that include responsible, sustainable and environmentally-friendly tourism.
At GF Hoteles, we firmly believe in v as one of the chain’s strategic values and, therefore, a sustainable policy has been implemented that sets a series of objectives related to the environment, people and the organisation.
- We promote local economic growth and, at the environmental level, we try to mitigate the CO2 emissions that occur in the transport of raw materials to their destination. The data from the Purchasing Department certifies that more than 90% of the invoices for all purchases of products and services are made to local suppliers.
- The reduction of single-use plastic has become one of the main objectives of the Sustainability Strategy at GF Hoteles. To achieve these objectives, the chain is launching joint actions in all of its hotels, such as the gradual replacement of the consumption of plastic bottles by guests and employees with aluminium bottles.
- Optimised paper use. A series of measures have been proposed aimed at reducing paper within the business group.
- Among GF Hoteles’ projects for 2019 is the calculation of the CO2 absorption of the landscaped areas, in addition to continuing with the installation of intelligent irrigation in all of the chain’s hotel establishments.
- Waste management is strictly controlled, accounting for each type of waste and with monthly measurements, an aspect that is audited annually according to ISO 14001 and the European EMAS Regulation.
- The hotel establishments have condensing boilers and biomass boilers. The condensing boiler reduces 33% of smoke emissions by taking advantage of waste heat and, in addition, there is a 20% energy savings in fuel consumption.
- The shift towards environmentally-friendly technologies is one of the premises on which GF Hoteles is based, for which several actions have been set in place, which range from the installation of an energy consumption control system with “online” measurement, to the change to new fuels with lower CO2 emissions, as well as the commitment to purchasing electricity of certified, 100% renewable origin. In 2018, more than 1,300 lightbulbs were replaced with LED technology.
- The laundry service at GF Hoteles is another example of energy efficiency that services the four hotels in the Costa Adeje chain.